Jill Behrman Emerging Leader Scholarship
History and selection process:
The Jill Behrman Emerging Leader Scholarship was created by the Behrman family to honor their daughter, Jill Behrman, an IU student and Campus Recreational Sports employee who disappeared in 2000. Each year, two Jill Behrman Emerging Leader Scholarships are available to students who exemplify the qualities that the award honors. All complete applications are reviewed by Mr. and Mrs. Behrman, who help the IU Foundation choose the scholarship recipients.
The following criteria have been developed to provide direction in selecting a deserving scholarship recipient. Should a situation arise in which no one meets the listed criteria, a scholarship will not be awarded.
The scholarship criteria are intended to be measurable, reasonable and explicit to provide a clear understanding of our expectations. Campus Recreational Sports is committed to recognizing the most outstanding recipient and the criteria should reflect that lofty goal.
In order to be considered for this year's scholarship, candidates must submit a completed application, resume and two (2) reference forms to Chris Geary in WIC 290 or by email at by Monday February 3, 2014.
*Forms may be submitted electronically*
"Save As" the document using your name as the file name, fill it out, and email it as an attachment to Chris Geary at
Reference Forms may be also emailed to Chris Geary but forms must come from the email address of the reference.
- Minimum of one year involvement within Campus Recreational Sports as a participant, volunteer or employee.
- Be a full-time, undergraduate student enrolled in any baccalaureate program at Indiana University.
- Have an overall Grade Point Average of at least 2.5.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, responsibilities and potential in any area of campus life at Indiana University.
- Demonstrated leadership, character and civic responsibility at Indiana University through involvement in Campus Recreational Sports, University and community organizations.
- Exhibit universally important ethical values such as respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Exhibit a willingness to go above and beyond expectations in service to Campus Recreational Sports, Indiana University and/or the community.
- Demonstrated initiative, character, need, and scholastic achievement of potential candidates are also considered.
- Scholarship Reference Forms must be submitted from at least one (1) Recreational Sports representative and one (1) person from Indiana University outside of Campus Recreational Sports who can comment on the candidate's leadership, character, and commitment to civic responsibility.